My very own glee

I just realized yesterday that life is indeed like a circle or  a roller coaster maybe. Everyone will have their ups and downs moment in life, it's just the matter of time that someone is happy now, yet you'll never know the time he/she suffered. In the other hand, people (including me) whine for things that didn't go as they planned, yet it took time to realize that there are soo many good things out there.

I came to my high school yesterday. I assumed I'm going to have my very own version of "Liberal Arts" movie. I did, and I still enjoyed the ambiance in that school (although the new principal painted the school to brown....instead of green). The counseling teacher asked me to share about campus life, and how it feels for private high school student to study in a public university. Surprisingly, there were several questions from the senior classes about the ethnicity and stuff. I thought with such a-globalized-world-to-be, people will think that discrimination is a big no no, yet I saw doubts and fears from the kids. It took me a few seconds to think, and then I tried to answer that difference is like a circle too. You'll always feel different if you are in a new place, new community, or surrounded by people with different race, religion, ethnicity or perspective. Yet, once you showed that you have something good, people with will respect you, regardless all of your attributes. I feel lucky enough that I've studied for 13 years in a private-Catholic school, and then had a brand new perspective in a public university. Doch, I'm still a minority in those both private and public schools, yet I have perspectives of several ethnicity, groups or whatever it is. Then, I re-valued it to myself, that people always have different orientations in their life. Some will pursue their career, some will pursue money, some will pursue fame, and some still pursue happiness?

Speaking of career, I felt a little bit lost these days. It is hard to find what I'm good at. Meeting my teachers two days ago made me listened to stories of some successful alumnus, a friend had almost two digits (in million) for her first salary, the other friend is already able to buy a car while he's still in college, and the other senior has already worked for a prestigious ministry in Jakarta. The bad thing is I'm such a "easy-comparing-myself" to others. I mourned on that day, whine to myself that I might not be able to be success and earn as much money as they do now. And man, I might be good at motivating people, yet I'm a loser that often compare and feel bad about myself. I am nothing. Punkt.

So I spent my Saturday Night to watch Glee season 3 and 4. I know it might sound cheesy, but I love this serial from season 1. I love the characters, despite of the dramas, the parody and good music in it. In season 1 (2009), I think I related to Rachel Berry and Miss Pillsburry. Skipped the season 2, in season 3 and 4 that I watched yesterday, I think I relate to Finn Hudson the most. Finn is a guy that still confuse to define what dreams he has. Whether he wants to be in military, to pursue career as an actor, or to be a teacher. In the other sides, his friends seem to have their dream or at least can define what they are really good at. Berry and Hummel study in a prestigious drama and musical academy, Fabray in a Ivy-League university, or Jones who pursue her career in LA. Same things happened to me now. Some closed friends seemed to have their own world, a brand new yet beautiful world. And sometimes I'm just afraid that I won't move on from my "world" and stuck.

Back to Mr. Hudson, he inspired me that it will take time to define what your dreams are. He is now enjoying his time as glee-club teacher in Lima, but I know that Finn is still in a process to define his dreams (forgive me as a spoiler). When many of my friends want to graduate soon, I didn't want it actually in the beginning. It is because I'm still confused what I'm going to do after. The world out there is so wide and wild. The competition is everywhere. Yet, I might take my time now to define what my dreams are, what I am good at, and make it happen. I hope I can prove that success is not only proven by how much money you earn, or how many cars you have. I will prove to myself and make me feel good about myself first. So, now the journey to find something good in me will begin. I hope I can create my very own version of glee, a group of imperfect kids who can touch people. And by that, I mean doing something that can improve myself and others as well. Wish me luck.

Thank you New Directions!

Comments