A Thoughtful Interview

Passion leads you to your own world. Be proud if have already found yours. I had a small interview with my campus-journals, and the journalist asked me "What's my passion?" "Are you going to work on International Relation's field?". It quiets me for some seconds. Then, I looked back to her very first question to me "Why do you major IR?" I answered very honestly that Communication - Journalism was always a field that I want to major when I was in high school. Yet in the last months before graduated from high school, I changed my mind. The experience I had before, the says of people, the image that "you can always learn communication or journalism by course, etc; but not with IR", and the promising job as an "ambassador" or some diplomats with suits and formal attire, suddenly impressed me. Then, I majored IR. I was so sure about that!

Then, I found myself that what I'm majoring now is not really my passion. But, wait, it doesn't have to be, right? The issues are high, yet interesting though. I gotta learn about politics, economics, interesting issues about globalization, and some security and conflict issues that became my thesis' topic now. I realized that in these three years I was so concentrated to do what I HAD to do; writing regular journals, doing the assignments, papers, and reading so many readings. But... I forgot to do what I LOVE to do; writing feature or chasing my other hobbies, singing maybe, or dancing maybe. And it kills me that I realized those things in my almost-last semester. Seeing some friends on a stage couple days ago, I suddenly thought "I want to be on stage too, I want to sing too, I want to dance too!" I know I don't have a crystal clear voice, and my body doesn't move as good as my friend does. Yet, I'm longing to be on stage as I did in school before...

Back to the interview, the journalist asked me, "What do you want to be?" "What are you gonna do after graduated?". It quiets me again for some seconds. Then I said, "I have so many plans in my mind." Indeed, I have many, too many. I want to learn other language, I want take TOEFL because I know that my English isn't good enough, I want to learn about broadcasting, and cinematography. Yes, cinematography! I really want to learn how to write script and stories, because I had some in my mind :P. And the last thing I want to do is climbing a mountain! I know that it maybe silly, and ambitious maybe; knowing that I myself am not a sporty and physically tough person. But I want to have my own adventure after graduated. Either backpacker or climbing have caught my eyes these days. And as my father said, "Climbing a mountain is about to find, discover or re-invented yourself," I really want to do that. Some companies will make it better though. Finger crossed!

So, after telling my doubt about passion, the journalist asked me again, "So why don't you work on media?" I answered quickly that I really want to do that, yet I realized my skill is not good enough as those who major journalism and communication. They have the knowledge, and skills as well.

I saw doubt and confused in her face, but then she asked again, emphasizing her question, "So, what are you gonna be?" And do you have any says for the other students out there?" I know that the interview is supposed to be about some inspiring stories, and I know mine is not inspiring enough. So, I answered, "I'm still trying to figure it out. And, don't be afraid to learn to do what you got to do, don't stuck in assignments or college stuff (like me), try something new; anything related to your hobbies and passion. Because as Anis Baswedan said, "Ketika interview pekerjaan, IPK hanya mengantarkan sampai ke tahap administratif saja. Selanjutnya, kualitas diri dan pengalaman-lah yang menentukan masa depan Anda."

Man gotta do what man gotta do. I realized that I left so many good and new things behind in my college years. I regret it now, but I believe there will always be second chances, right?

The interview ended and the journalist smile at me.The interview is not only about sharing some inspiring stories, but I know it's about being inspired by people in front of me. I feel proud and happy from her, because I know she's doing what she WANTS and LOVES to do...

A very very good quote, and note to myself :)

Comments

Patchtastics said…
Oh wow, I cannot believe that you soon gonna graduate! :O I'm just got the half way to that point, but on the other hand, I also struggled a couple of years to find out what I really want to study, which is my currently study. Still I try to find what I want to be, because people mostly misjudge me. I have ambitions, great dreams and I want to achieve them one day. But the way to that goal is long and tough, that is for sure. Please, do not see what you have chosen as a regret. See it as something meaningful, a little spice, beside your passion. And you're still young, there are many opportunities waiting for you out there. It is not too late to start with what you're burning for doing! :) I miss you a lot, my little, wise, talented, smart friend! If you come to Europe on backpacking, tell me in advance, perhaps I'll join you. *HUGS*
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Patch! Thank you very very much, I miss you too! I wish you good luck for your study and whatever you're doing now. Backpacker to Europe has always been my dream too, yet I know it needs much cost too, so I'm going to earn money first. And sure, your company will be really really great. You know that I always want to go to Norway ;).

I miss you my dancer - optimistic - lovely - smart friend! Million hugs from here! <3